CB&I Storage Solutions has the capability to design, fabricate and construct virtually any large, metal structure known as a specialty structure. Materials of construction include carbon steel, stainless steel, alloys, clad, aluminum and other metallic materials. Many of the structures have played a role in the development of advanced forms of energy. We engineer each structure to meet the exacting specifications of each customer. The needs of our customers drive the scope of the products and services. We have successfully executed many unique specialty structure projects. Here are a few examples:
- Basic oxygen furnace replacements for the steel mill industry that include chrome moly material, field machining and field post weld heat treatment construction activities
- Wind tunnels such as the Transonic Wind Tunnel at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia and the Pressurized Wind Tunnel at Moffett Field, California; and stainless steel cryogenic wind tunnels capable of operating at temperatures as low as -320°F at multiple NASA locations
- Thermal vacuum test facilities for high-quality space simulation testing of meteorological and communications satellites
- Large diameter penstocks, including bifurcations, trifurcations, scroll cases and tunnel liner sections for large scale hydropower projects
- Anaerobic Egg-Shaped Digesters and ClariCone® solids contact clarifiers, both structures and systems, for superior performance and reliable municipal wastewater treatment solutions
- In addition to McDermott's conventional oil and gas offshore infrastructure products, the company has also supplied ships, barges, submarine hulls, and even riverboat casinos. McDermott’s marine experience dates back to 1918.
- Large-scale scientific instruments such as LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory) and an underground “Decay Tube” used to detect and measure neutrinos for universities and federal government projects
- Large cavitation chamber for the U.S. federal government to test the propulsion power and acoustics of large scale models of ships and submarines in a controlled environment
- J-6 large rocket test facility, including test cells and exhaust tunnels, to test higher energy solid fuel rocket motors for the U.S. federal government
- Scrubbers, adsorbers, steel stacks, chimney liners and Heat Recovery Steam Generators (HRSGs) for the power industry
- Thermal energy storage tanks and systems for cooling load and backup cooling capacity for mission critical systems
- 15 1/2"-thick 8,500 PSI stainless steel vacuum jacket cryogenic sphere for NASA’s Space Shuttle Program
- Solar powered freeze desalination plant in Saudi Arabia using solar energy to freeze salt water and to separate the salt from the pure ice crystals
Delivering Quality and Safety
No matter where our projects are located, we design and build them in strict compliance with federal and local regulations. We participate in more than two dozen international code committees, and our company-wide technical standards meet or, in many cases, exceed industry standards. We also provide comprehensive safety training for our work crews around the world, an initiative that has earned us one of the best safety records in the industry.