Liquefaction Export Terminals
McDermott has extensive experience with the key processes and equipment utilized in baseload natural gas liquefaction plants.
Receiving and gas metering experience
McDermott has designed and installed a number of plants with ultrasonic custody transfer metering facilities, including the metering facilities on the PERU LNG project, two ultrasonic metering packages on the Buzzard Offshore Platform project, and ultrasonic meter systems on other gas plants and LNG import terminal projects.
Acid gas removal experience
McDermott has designed and constructed more than 20 acid gas removal systems for gas plants and LNG peak shaving facilities.
- Experience includes MEA, DEA, AMDEA, Sulfinol and Flexsorb solvents and engineering licensed design packages by Shell, BASF, UOP, Ineos, Dow, Black & Veatch, ELF, ExxonMobil and UCARSOL.
- Our experience in CO2 removal includes projects up to a 3,310 million standard cubic feet per day (MMSCFD) flow rate, feed gas CO2 levels of 0.8 to 71 percent, and treated CO2 concentrations of down to 50 parts per million (PPM).
- Representative projects include Yankee Gas, Liquid Carbonic, BP Cusiana, Kinder-Morgan, Williams Energy, Duke Energy, Union Pacific Resources and Koch Midstream.
McDermott has designed and constructed more than 35 dehydration systems using 2- and 3-bed mol sieves with capacities ranging from 62 to 650 MMSCFD.
Representative projects include the PERU LNG project and numerous LNG peak shaving facilities for clients such as Memphis LGW and Pine Needle, and gas processing projects such as Enterprise, PERU LNG, Pioneer Natural Resources, Dynegy, Williams and Duke.
Mercury removal experience
McDermott has designed mercury removal systems on 14 projects ranging in capacity from 62 to 880 MMSCFD. Examples include:
- The PERU LNG project, which utilizes activated carbon absorbers
- The Buzzard project, which has two 'Mersorb' beds treating gas from 134 μg/Nm3 to 10 ng/Nm3
- Other projects, which included carbon bed, Hg-Siv and metal oxide technologies
- Other customers include Marathon Alba, Enterprise, Hunt/PlusPetrol, Enron and EnCana USA
McDermott has experience with refrigeration systems on 15 projects in the last 15 years ranging in capacity from 62 to 1,000 MMSCFD. This includes:
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.'s (APCI) main cryogenic heat exchanger on PERU LNG, Woodside, Nigeria LNG and Malaysia LNG
- Gas turbines up to 34 megawatts (MW)
- McDermott installed two Frame 7 gas turbines with Nuovo Pignone compressors for Nigeria LNG and one frame 7 gas turbine with Nuovo Pignone compressor for Woodside LNG.
- Other smaller natural gas fired turbine compressors on numerous other gas-processing projects, such as a GE frame 5 turbine with an Elliott compressor for Koch Hydrocarbons.
LNG storage and loading systems
McDermott is one of the leading contractors for LNG storage and loading systems. This experience includes:
- Design and construction of approximately 220 LNG storage tanks, the majority being double-wall single-containment storage tanks up to 200,000 cubic meters (m3)
- In-tank loading pumps, boil off gas compressors, condensers, loading arms and jetty top works associated with the 75 LNG terminals and peak shaving plants designed by McDermott
Offsites and utilities
McDermott capabilities include work completed outside the scope of the LNG facility itself. These capabilities extend to plant utilities and may include piping and other connections to offsite structures.